May 2017 Newsletter
I can’t believe it is May already! One more meeting, then we break for the summer. I am thrilled with the President’s first 100 days! On April 26, President Trump rolled out the first details of his tax plan, which will reform the complicated tax code, slash rates, and empower companies and workers to create jobs and keep more of their money in their own pockets.
Personal Tax Reform
- Provide Tax Relief for Middle Income Families
- Simplify the Tax Code by Moving from 7 to 3 Brackets: 0, 10, 25, 35
- Modernize Tax Code to Help Families Struggling with Child & Dependent Care Costs
- Repeal 3.8% Obamacare Tax on Investment Income
- End Alternative Minimum Tax
- Eliminate Itemized Deductions Except Mortgage Interest & Charitable Contributions
- End the Death Tax
Business Tax Reform
- 15% Corporate Rate
- Small Business Owner/Operators Eligible for Business Rate
- Territorial Tax System to End Penalty on Companies Headquartered in the U.S.
- Onetime Tax for Repatriation to Bring Back Trillions of Dollars from Overseas
- Eliminate Tax Breaks for Special Interest
The Texas Legislators will be burning the midnight oil and they should be, they have accomplished very little at getting conservative bills passed by both houses. At the time I wrote this, only 3 bills out of 4,000 submitted have passed. I would like to give you an update on the Houston pensions issue, but it changes from minute to minute… stay tuned!
HB 2815 by Tom Oliverson is referred to as the “nursing home voting bill.” It could help prevent the single source of voting fraud that is the topic of the highest number of complaints received by the Secretary of State after every election.
HB 2139 by Mike Schofield brings organized election fraud under the state’s racketeering laws and makes it a felony to engage in organized election fraud activity like ballot harvesting.
HB 3643 by Valoree Swanson increases penalties for illegally assisting voters and particularly for voter ambush. That’s were organized groups wait in the parking lots of polling places, lock arms with unsuspecting voters and proceed into the polling place to act as the “assistants” for voters with whom they have no prior relationship.
HB 3435 by Valoree Swanson gives the Signature Verification Committee of the election Ballot Board more flexibility in disallowing mail ballots for which the signatures displayed are clearly not the signatures of the voter.
Call or email your representative today to let them know this is important to you. On the last page of this newsletter you can click on to find your representative.
What to say:
Tell your representative there are 4 election bills that we need to improve election integrity in Harris County. Ask them to please do whatever they can to pull these 4 bills to votes by the House and Senate. Your voices can make a real difference.
We have some exciting events and speakers planned for you next fall. Have a happy, healthy fun summer and we will see you in August!